Thanks to all who have offered suggestions so far.  I think I will
continue to be a lumper and make one source for each year and put the
State and County in the detail.

A follow-up question for those who have a census event.  Do you have the
same "Census" event for all censuses, or do you have different events
for each, e.g "1900 US Census", "1881 British Census"?

At the moment, since I only have British censuses, I've just used one
census event and used the date field to distinguish between them.  I'm
wondering whether it is worth having one "US Census" event or whether
the location will be enough?

More thoughts, please

Tony