Julia,
This is another of those personal preference topics, despite the webinar Geoff
gave on entering a census.  You might want to check the archives for more
background.

But I think the answer is the former -- attach image to every census source
used.

I attach my images to the master source, but then I am a bit of a "lumper" and
have my census sources set up by county in the US.  This way all the images I
have for a county are available in one place.  So far it works for me.

Also, I believe that you are really only storing one image, just linking it
multiple times.

I don't generally enter census data (or even look for it??) for non-direct line
families.  At least that's where I am in my research right now.  I will enter
events and fully source them for everyone in the family that contains my direct
line ancestor, though.  It's very easy to do using the event and source
clipboards.

If I started "branching out" and doing more extended family research, I would
hand that census information in the same way.
 --Paula