amen!!

From: Michele Lewis
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:03 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] 1940 census template questions

The page number is important in conjunction with the COUNTY not the enumeration
district.  There is only one page 122 in Lamar County, Mississippi but there
are nine Sheet 4B’s!   And Lamar County is a small, rural county.  There are
places with hundreds of enumeration districts.  The page number would be much
more useful than the sheet number.

The reason you need all of the piece is  because the whole point of including a
citation is so that someone else can come behind you and find the record.
Today it  isn’t near as crucial since the census is up on Ancestry (and  other
cites) and they are very easy to search.  Back in the day if you knew the
county and the page number you could find the record.  (There are only 1-4
sheets per page number so the sheet wasn’t that critical).  If you were getting
the info from the NARA, you would need the roll number.  Without that the NARA
wouldn’t bother trying to find your record J

Michele