From:Jenny M Benson <ge...@cedarbank.me.uk>
To:LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Sun, April 29, 2012 6:28:53 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] 1940 census template questions

On 29/04/2012 23:17, Paula Ryburn wrote:
> For those of you who "lump" AT ALL, what do you do if you find one page
> for a county (the level at which I lump) on ancestry and another on
> familysearch and another the NARA?
>
> In the particular case of Federal Census records, is it really important
> to cite the website through which you viewed the records?

My experience is mainly with British Censuses (I lump by year and
country) but the same thing applies.  Although I do have access to more
than one sourse, I actually only access Censuses (apart from the 1911)
on Ancestry quite simply so that I don't have to have 2 (or more) Master
Sources for each Year/Country.  Part of the citation is details of the
site where the image was viewed so if you use more than one site you
need more than one Master Source.  You *could* omit all reference to
where you viewed the Census image, but this would not be a full and
accurate Source.

Incidentally, I am so glad this discussion about Sheets, Pages etc has
come up because I do have a few US Censuses and was finding it rather
confusing.  In the Source Citation Ancestry seems always to refer to
"Page" but then gives the number which is next to "Sheet" on the actual
image and very often I can't see any stamped (or written) Page number so
I have been mainly ignoring that field on the SW template.
--
Jenny M Benson