From: Jenny M Benson [mailto:ge...@cedarbank.me.uk]
Sent: 08 October 2012 14:59
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Basic Source Format vs Source Writer

On 08/10/2012 13:42, Suzanne Scheraga wrote:
> I have been following the thread of changing sources entered in Source
> Writer to Basic format but I'm totally confused. Could someone give me
> the pros and cons of each format (in simple language)?

The great benefits of using SourceWriter are that Sources are presented in a
consistent fashion that conforms to a standard (that set by Elizabeth Shown
Mills),  It is easy to use because all the required information is entered into
fields on templates.

The big disadvantage is that the format is not recognized by the GEDCOM
standard and by other software.

There are fewer fields to fill in with Basic Sources, so there is more scope
for presenting a Source exactly as you choose and in a format which is likely
to remain intact when data is share via GEDCOM.

--
Jenny M Benson