Firstly, please can we be clear about the usage of the word "saved". As you
make changes to your family file i.e. when Close or Save on exiting any screen
then Legacy saves changes used to the database -  your Family File, and to the
location from which you opened the Family File.

When you exit Legacy, after making changes, you are asked if you wish to make a
backup. Always answer "Yes", and select what you wish to backup from the check
boxes on the next screen Whether you wish to use Legacy to backup your images
is up to you - I don't, as I put them in Dropbox.

Until you are really familiar with Legacy I would keep your Family File (*.fdb)
in your Legacy>Data folder. If you wish to backup onto your thumb drive that is
fine, so you can either put it in Legacy>Data, or on a thumb - there are pluses
and minuses to both methods.

To open the backup you need to go to File>Restore family file, and on the next
screen go to where the file is (use the small box at the top) and select the
backup from the list in the large box. You will be asked to give it a name, and
I suggest that you do not give it the original name , and do ensure that the
small box at the top has the path to the Legacy Data folder. You can always
change the file name later (File>Save As).
---
Ron Ferguson
http://www.fergys.co.uk
GOONS #5307