This is actually a major decision, most of us start genealogy with a few
records, photos etc. and as the years go by it grows to thousands.  Personally
I wish I'd have had better insight when I began, so give all suggestions much
thought.   The one thing that is very helpful to me is that I have one
Legacy_pics_docs file with many subfolders.   Anything that I have attached to
Legacy, I have in this folder, I may have duplicates/high resolutions of the
same in other Surname folders.  If someone wants a copy of what they've seen on
my website or that I've posted on findagrave.com, I know immediately to go to
this one file.

I then have Surname subfolders, but I do combine some lines together for lesser
reseacher lines. I  name the files & folders with the Surname first
(curry_george-w_1825-1860) , (I don't always add the date, but over the years,
I've found numerous ones with the same first & last name, so adding a dob or
dod helps me.) I keep separate folders for my photos  and separated from
documents, i.e.
Curry pics
Curry docs
If I were to start over, I'd seriously consider having pictures and documents
together in each surname subfolder.

A word of caution, when I started, I'd name the document, i.e.:
wwi_draft_curry_james, thinking this would be good to have all WWI Draft
Registration together, but as the years have gone by, how I wish, I'd named
everything with the surname first that way all items for that particular
individual would have been together.

Now, with having my own website, it would be a lot of trouble renaming all
items.
Hope this helps, consider all ideas, but try as best you can to plan for many
more items attached to Legacy.

Syble
 LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 5:51 PM