Alas! If only I used Microsoft Word. If I look hard I might be able to
find five .doc files on my entire computer.

What you're suggesting does not work for RTF, PDF, TXT, ODS, HTML, EML,
ZIP, MHT ...

Almost of all of my genealogy has been downloaded or scanned as image
files and GeoSetter works fine, as does Photo Mechanic and XnView as I
mentioned previously. GIF, PNG and BMP cannot be tagged with anything.
JPG and TIFF, of course, can be.

Opening my genealogy folders of almost 17,000 files show me over 90%
image files. The rest are mostly RTF, PDF, TXT, HTML or EML, none of
which can be tagged with Windows.

So I guess that leaves Windows tagging DOCX besides it's usual, wholly
inadequate, tagging of JPGs and TIFFs.
-----
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://jlog.jgen.ws/