Ron, what does tagging for files that are NOT images?

The only one I know of is a PDF editor for PDF metadata but that's a
hard one to search as I recall.

A lot of records are downloaded in image format so that covers most of
them for me. I can search for PDF's or text by MRIN or specific content
by something like Copernic Desktop Search.

Something that has not been mentioned yet in this discussion is that if
you're linking your files to Legacy, it's important to DECIDE where
you're going to put your files and how you're going to name them and
stick to your plan. Changing file-paths can be difficult. One folder to
another if the file-names are the same is easy. Moving dozens or
hundreds of sub-folders, or re-linking renamed files is not.

I find it easier to not link files at all except for one folder of
'portraits' used in reports or charting. Instead of clicking four times
to get to a view of a single file in Legacy, I can do a simple search in
Windows to get that one file or get a whole folder or folder tree view
and wider perspective.
----
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://jlog.jgen.ws/