Finally have to jump in here.  While I agree that there are a myriad of
ways to describe what constitutes a "family", all I expect from a software
program is to be able to chart the relationships and link them together.
In my opinion Legacy already offers all of the options we need to label
these relationships any way we want. Aside from getting hung up over the
words "marriage" or relationship" I just view the marriage information
window as the system that lets me link two people (or more) to a child.

Consider the following situtations:

Person A  and Person B marry and have a child....
clearly we don't need to use the boxes "never married and never had
children" whether in the individual windows or marriage window

Person A has a child  with Person B.....
        Buut they never married so we check the box "this couple did not
marry" in the marriage information window.
         "Never had children" does not apply to either.  It's a separate
box on this screen as it needs to be.

Person B above now marries Person C  and they have a child and you proceed
as usual,

                    or don't have children together and  we check the "this
couple had no children" in the marriage information window. Again, it's
                      separated here in the MARRIAGE WINDOW as it needs to
be.

If Person A never marries and never has children, the combined box is
appropriately located in the personal information screen.

I certainly have no problem checking this if I want to indicate to myself
that AS FAR AS I KNOW this person had no issue and this is a dead end.

To me it's just taking up valuable screen space to separate the two on this
screen.

Of course we may not know for sure if someone ever had children. We also
may not know for sure if they ever married.  I also don't know whether they
like spinach  or are vegetarian!  We record what we know or what we feel
comfortable recording.  If you are not sure then DON'T CHECK THE COMBINED
BOX. Isn't that simple.

I'm trying hard to imagine a situation where I would be comfortable  say
checking "never married"  but then saying "gee I don't know if he fathered
any kids here and there.  Maybe I shouldn't check that combined box".  If
you don't know and it bothers you, don't check it then.

Just my two cents worth.
Mary

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Ellen <kramer...@comcast.net> wrote:
.

> Are you looking for something other than the marriage box where you can
> say that the couple never married and separately you can say that they
> never had children?  We already have that on the upper left corner of the
> marriage editing box.  Or is there something else that you are referring to?
>
> God bless,
> Ellen
>
> On Jun 20, 2013, at 11:29 PM, Pat Hickin wrote:
>
> Perhaps a compromise is in order -- if Legacy can't bring itself to split
> the two statements, at least it could say, "____ never married and had no
> known children."
>
> Pat
>

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Pat Hickin <pph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Amen!!  It seems ridiculous to me that Legacy almost forces us to state
>> as fact something that we can not *possiby* know!!
>>
>> Pat
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Tony Rolfe <geneal...@gillandtony.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Can we go back to the original request and forget about all the
>>> extraneous waffle which has appeared on this subject.  Just because
>>> Legacy must create a "marriage" record whenever a child is added to a
>>> parent, it doesn't mean that a real-world marriage actually occurred.
>>>
>>> It is frequently easy to tell that a person never married.  It is
>>> usually impossible to state with any certainty that someone had no
>>> children.
>>>
>>> Can we please split the "This person never married and had no children"
>>> fact into two separate facts?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> Tony
>>>

>>> Legacy User Group guidelines:
>>> http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
>>> Archived messages after Nov. 21 2009:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/
>>> Archived messages from old mail server - before Nov. 21 2009:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/
>>> Online technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
>>> Follow Legacy on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree)
>>> and on our blog (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).

> on our blog (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).

> on our blog (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).

Mary LeClerc
quiltingm...@gmail.com
My Blog: http://quiltinginoz.blogspot.com/
My Photos: http://tinyurl.com/3aylx7

"Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any
different.” ~ Oprah Winfrey

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No
matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an
inherent wish to create something that did not exist before."
Dieter Uchtdorf