Bob,

In the example you provided I would think that either Abt. or Cir. (Circa)
would both work fine.

They both imply that the actual date should be around that time.

Remember, your basing her age of 21 as someone else "estimation"
or did the other person have "specific" data to know her true age.

Maybe she was 25 but looked 21?

As a general rule of thumb I use the about in almost all circumstances,
I do use Circa, but that is usually only for implication of a date for a
spouse.

There are no black and white rules here, but it is best to try to avoid
potential confusion in consideration that many persons who
eventually will see, use, save, share your data
may not be privy to your specific instances of how you applied each term.

Jay