From: Jenny M Benson [mailto:ge...@cedarbank.me.uk]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:20 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Quarter dates

On 12/04/2014 16:06, Ron Ferguson wrote:
> Q date is a Legacy innovation introduced, in my view wrongly by user
> request.
>
> The correct reference format is last month of the quarter+year, which
> is what I use - not to mention all English statutory bodies.

Admittedly FreeBMD (to take one very widely used example) lists the quarters
as, for example, "March 1845" or "December 1900" but I think this would be very
confusing if I adopted this style in my database.  In many cases I know the
month and year of a vital event, but not the precise day.  When I write March
1845 what I mean is "between 1 and 31 March 1845" and I think there are few
people who would not read it as meaning that.

What I write for a Quarter date, as per Legacy standard, is March Q 1845.  This
makes it very clear to most people exactly what I mean and it is a simple
matter to explain to the few who don't.  Much simpler than having to explain
for every instance of March YYYY, June YYYY, September YYYY and December YYYY
whether I actually meant "on one of the days in that month" or "at some time in
the three months ending with that one"!

I for one am a very satisfied Legacy customer in this respect - as in many
others.

--
Jenny M Benson