From: Ron Ferguson [mailto:ronfergy....@tiscali.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:47 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Quarter dates

David,

It would seem that you are not familiar with the English quarter days.
Historically these are the days on which many accounts had to be settled,
especially anything relating to land, property and government administration.
The actual day being the last day of each quarter - the first quarter day being
31 March in each year.

It follows that church records were returned to the authorities on each quarter
days, including BMDs when appropriate.

So the date which is recorded is the quarter in which the event was recorded
not the actual date. As Jenny said, this is normally published as eg. March
1852.

I actually use cir March 1852, and this is the only use I have for "cir" using
any otherwise. This way I can easily tell the registration dates.

As usual, I will make it clear that this is just my way, and not a
recommendation

Ron Ferguson
http://www.fergyst.co.uk/
GOONS #530