Hi Brian & Mike,

It wasn't my intent to apply any compatibility settings to run Legacy.
Rather it is what Windows found necessary to do by just clicking "that
the program installed correctly."
But as Mike pointed out, this error is reported against Legacy8Setup.exe
(not Legacy.exe).

I had a look at the Windows Event Viewer (Windows Logs - Application),
around the time that I updated Legacy on May 30.
There is a "Windows Error Reporting" log record at that time.
Here are the first few lines of the event record:
---------------------------------
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PCA2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Legacy8Setup.exe
P2: 8.0.0.0
P3: Legacy Family Tree
P4: 뿸ɉ
P5: Millennia Corporation
--------------------------------
The Program Compatibility Assistant has its own Event Viewer log entry
(also at that time) under
"Applications and Services
logs\Microsoft\Windows\Application-Experience\Program-Compatibility-Assistant".
Here is the content of that record:
---------------------------------
The Program Compatibility Assistant was invoked to correct a
compatibility problem. Information about the application is below.

Application name: Legacy Family Tree
Application version: 8.0.0.0
Executable path: C:\Users\stanm\Downloads\Software\Legacy8Setup.exe
Scenario ID: 1
User action: Applied recommended settings
User action ID: 201
Compatibility layer: *WINXPSP2*
FileID: 0000dde463fa69dab08dd2803d7adc68ba2c9e30437f
ProgramID: 0000da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709

So at least on this system, the installer is running in Windows XP
compatibility mode.
I have seen this particular error before, e.g. when trying to install
Canon ScanGear scanner software from 2003 on Win7.
I'd be happy to send the log files, if they would be useful. Otherwise,
I'll move on to another topic. :)

-Stan