Larry,

I think Jim was just trying to be funny/cute - trying to lighten the
mood a bit by adding the comment about hallucinogenic - since you
included that term in your earlier e-mail.

I agree - it seems to make more sense to human thinking to have these
separate and to change the word "marriage" to "relationship". I'm sure
it makes perfect sense program-wise as it is, it allows the setting of
some flag/switch/etc and was a great thought at the time it was
originally added.  And I realize there are other ways of indicating the
lack of relationship and children using different parts of this program.

But the designers need to realize that it is time to "correct" the
"oversight" of the original field's intent, and instead make it more
"humanly intuitive":
_ This person had no KNOWN children
_ This person had no KNOWN relationships

My understanding is the whole reason for having that (single) check box
is to indicate that this is an "end-of-the-line" person so no further
research is needed.  Without that check box, one might see a person in
their tree and wonder "Gee, did I research this person already, do I
need to look for their kids/partner?"  With this check box it lets me
know "oh, I'm already pretty sure that this person needs no further
research, I don't need to dig for children/partners".  So another option
would be to change that single check box's wording to
_ This person needs no further research for relationships/children
(end-of-the-line, no known children or relationships)
(Would it be better worded as "end-of-line" or "end-of-tree" or
"end-of-branch" or ???)

So, either split it in two so it make more sense "humanly" (and, if both
boxes are checked it then indicates "end-of-line"), or change the
wording to indicate what the checkbox is REALLY trying to indicate.

And, at the risk of ruffling more feathers, I'd like to suggest the
"Marriage" heading on the Family view be changed to "Relationship" (or
"Marriage/Relationship info" like it is on the resulting pop-up
window).   I say that because this section is not ONLY to record a
marriage, but also to record any relationship that resulted in children
(or may have resulted in children).

Bob