On 26 Nov 2016  Elizabeth Lindsay wrote:

> What I should have asked is why does Legacy not include 23andMe
> and GEDmatch in the list of options.

As for 23andMe... none of the autosomal testing companies are
included in Legacy's list.  I can only assume that's because the
initial list has not been updated or perhaps the programmers don't
know what use it would be because there's basically no test data to
record. -- 23andMe is the only testing company that provides basic Y
and mt haplogroup information with an autosomal test (and
unfortunately it causes many testees to believe they also need those
to match!)

GEDmatch is not a DNA testing company so should not be in the list.
There should however be a place (the test Notes?) to record an
uploaded GEDmatch kit ID when the autosomal testing company is
selected.  But currently, since the testing company cannot be
selected this doesn't apply.

> What I really want to be able to do, is for anyone who I know has been
> tested:
> 1) tick the box for one of the DNA test companies and then,
> 2) add the Kit Number and,
> 3) add the haplogroup and,
> 4) add what family names the test results relate to, or confirm.

So you need to create a new event such as "Autosomal-DNA test" and
use it to record the testing company, and GEDmatch kit number, etc.
I find this works better than the DNA Records area because it's
visible from the Individual's Information window without further
clicking.

> If I can assign a tag or colour to these results, that would be
> helpful.

Obviously you could uniquely tag these individuals for a DNA flag but
that would be a separate action on your part.

Millennia could have done so much more to make Legacy useful to
genetic genealogists but didn't, and it wasn't from lack of
suggestions by myself and other ISOGG members!  Why useless DNA
selections were incorporated when no features were using them has
never made sense to me.  Legacy 9 will apparently have a mediocre use
of them in Charting but still nothing really worthwhile.

Cheers! -- Dave N.
-
DNA Project Administrator
FamilyTreeDNA & 23andMe