On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Liz wrote:
> > I don't want PD for my data because then I can see the company like
> > Garmin
> > freely using it to update their maps and still charging me for my
> > data.
>
> But this is what I never get when people wheel out the old canard of
> "the tragedy of the commons". These days, the commons is infinite. You
> still have your data. You still own your data. Garmin won't be
> charging you for your data - you no longer need it, because you have
> your own.

you overestimate what we've managed to map in Oz so far.
we are a long way from having a working routable set of maps for even the
highways across the land.
At the exponential rate of increase we should be usable in 3 years, then will
be a slow crawl to get the last remote places done.
(lots of Oz is remote - about 50% of the land mass)