Ed Avis wrote:
> Richard Fairhurst <rich...@...> writes:
> > I kind of think it should be compulsory for anyone posting to legal-talk
> > demonstrate that they have read, and understood, Rural vs Feist and
> Mason vs
> > Montgomery.
> I will read those (anyone got a link?).

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Case_law
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Statute_law

Bear in mind also that Creative Commons themselves have said several times
that CC-BY-SA is not suitable for OSM. For example,

"In the United States, data will be protected by copyright only if they
express creativity. Some databases will satisfy this condition, such as a
database containing poetry or a wiki containing prose. Many databases,
however, contain factual information that may have taken a great deal of
effort to gather, such as the results of a series of complicated and
creative experiments. Nonetheless, that information is not protected by
copyright and cannot be licensed under the terms of a Creative Commons
license."

And so on and so forth. That's from
http://sciencecommons.org/resources/faq/databases . That page is actually
deprecated because CC now recommend, effectively, that data should be public
domain. Given that CC, to me, has always appeared to have an unspoken policy
of favouring share-alike as the default recommendation, that's pretty
telling.

It's a huge subject, one with lots of shades of grey and very little
black-and-white, and one that has been discussed very, very extensively
here, on various blogs and elsewhere in the last few years. But if you can't
summon the energy to read all that, and I wouldn't blame you, do at least
read Charlotte Waelde's paper and the key US cases (Rural vs Feist, Mason vs
Montgomery).

For what it's worth, my interpretation at present is that a simple OSM map
of a housing estate, such as http://osm.org/go/euwtbOAo-- , is not at all
copyrightable in the US (the most liberal jurisdiction). It's a simple
collection of facts - street names and geometries - arranged in an
uncreative fashion, and Rural vs Feist tells us that this doesn't merit
copyright. Therefore CC-BY-SA will not protect it. (And given that this
level of detail is on a par with the major commercial mapping sites, it's
definitely something of value.)

Something more intensively mapped, such as http://osm.org/go/eutDzIjd-- ,
may perhaps attract copyright protection for the database structure - which,
in OSM, is principally the tagging system. It could go either way for the
database contents, which is still pretty uncreative _given_ that structure,
but could be argued to involve careful assessment of sources and so on
(Mason vs Montgomery).

But as is traditional at this point, I should point out that I am not a...
you know the rest. :)

cheers
Richard