On 20/10/09 11:36, Peter Miller wrote:

> On 20 Oct 2009, at 11:03, Sam Larsen wrote:
>
>> I am looking into the proper attribution of OSM in a tiled web
>> mapping scenario.  I know the guidelines on attribution can be found
>> on the wiki - and i have read them.
>> There is also the list of non-conforming sites:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lacking_proper_attribution
>> Does anyone think, we should have a list of 'conforming' sites - as
>> the CloudMade maps and even the main www.openstreetmap.org are
>> listed as not having proper attribution.
>
> I think we should be kicking arse to get better conformance on this
> rather than accepting that major websites and players within the
> community are not conforming.

I think we should start by asking people nicely before we get all
medieval on their arses, don't you?

Incidentally I would also point out that much of that page is the work
of one especially vociferous individual and there is considerable debate
among other people as to whether all the claims made there are accurate.

I for example added text disputing whether openstreetmap.org was lacking
attribution and the user in question simply reverted that edit without
any comment or discussion.

The main issue of debate surrounds exactly what forms of attribution
are/are not valid.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)