On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:

> Peter Miller wrote:
>> Sure, so lets get that page showing how things should be onto the wiki
>
> I think we've got that bit already:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ#I_would_like_to_use_OpenStreetMap_maps._How_should_I_credit_you.3F

Argh, but that FAQ is wrong. It's a requirement of the license that
you must provide either a link to the license or the license itself.
Section 4a:

"You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and
You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for,
this License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You
distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally
perform.,"

whereas the FAQ says:

"Where possible, 'OpenStreetMap' should be hyperlinked to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/, and CC-BY-SA to
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ ."

There's no "where possible" regarding the license. As far as I see it,
and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, the three requirements are:

 * Attribution to the contributors (appropriate to the medium, etc)
 * Notice that the work is available under the license
 * Either the text of the license OR the URI for the license.

Cheers,
Andy

PS We can discuss including the text of the license/URI in every tile
served at some other point...