On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:02 AM, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/1/5 Francis Davey <fjm...@gmail.com>:
> > 2010/1/4 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:
> >> Hence "not copyright assignment, but basically the same thing".  You
> give up
> >> the right to sue, and the OSMF gets the right to sue.
> >
> > Now *that* is very much not an assignment of copyright. The difference
> > (and the reason why its not "basically the same thing") is if you
> > assigned copyright in your contribution, OSMF would be able to sue
> > someone for violating that copyright.
>
> Yes, it's not an assignment of copyright and OSMF won't be able to sue
> for violation of copyright, it will only be able to sue for violation
> of its database rights -- the situation is still analogous to
> copyright assignment.  Let's for simplicity assume there is no
> copyright on our data at all an all references to copyright in this
> thread are a shorthand to whatever rights the licensor has to the
> database and / or the data, and maybe we can stop arguing about this,

Thank you.  That's exactly what I was getting at.  Obviously the OSMF can't
sue someone else for violating my copyright.  That's the "not copyright
assignment".  As for the "basically the same thing", that's the part where I
said "you give up the right to sue, and the OSMF gets the right to sue".
You'll notice I didn't say "sue for copyright infringment", I said "sue".
That was very much intentional.

I also followed it up with a quote from Meeks, which I'll annotate in case
someone didn't get it the first time:  "Various other methods are used to
achieve the same effect [as copyright assignment]. Some common ones - are
asking for a very liberal license: BSD-new, MIT/X11, or even Public Domain
["You hereby grant...any party...a...license to do any act that is
restricted by copyright"] on the contribution, and then including it into
the existing, more restrictively licensed work [the ODbL]."

I think we have agreed in a different thread that the new license +
> contributor terms is much the spirit of the CC-by-SA + copyright
> assignment, taken and applied to data.

I'd say it's more like the LGPL than CC-BY-SA.  It has the equivalent of a
requirement to distribute source along with binaries (something in the LGPL
but not in CC-BY-SA), and the copyleft does not apply to produced works
(roughly analogous to the Lesser in the Lesser GPL, and not something
present in CC-BY-SA).

At least in spirit/intent.  Legally speaking, the LGPL, and to a lesser
extent, CC-BY-SA, have been much more heavily scrutinized by the legal
community, have withstood the test of time, are from a well-respected and
well-known organization, and have a fairly well-accepted interpretation.