On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:24:47PM +0000, 80n wrote:
> Any share-however-you-like license has the properties you describe.  We're
> talking about share-alike here.
>
> It may suit you, as a consumer of OSM data, to not give a damn about
> contributing back to the project, but that's not what OSM is about.

Share-alike is really about the next user, anyone who receives the work,
having the same freedoms.  The next user is not necessarily the original
project (e.g. OpenStreetMap), but the original project can still
benefit.

Any licence that would require contribution back to the original project
fails to give those freedoms to people with limited connectivity,
sometimes even completely segregated from the Internet as we know it.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall