On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:20:18AM +0100, Simon Ward wrote:
> > I would be interested to discussing that flexibility further. Can
> > you give examples for using and distributing individual contents
> > that way?
>
> Without having first extracted it from the database, I can’t give any,
> because the extraction from the database is covered by the rights on the
> database.

If the database right holder (OSMF) provides an exported extract of the
database, does the use and distribution of that extract by others still
come under database rights (and the ODbL)?

My thinking is the rights probably still apply, because the rights cover
an arrangement of the data, not dependent on the arrangement provided
(the internal database format, a direct dump from the database, or in
OSM planet format).

If that’s the case, I wouldn’t mind seeing a statement to the effect
that the database rights either will not be enforced on the CC by-sa
dumps or outline some permissions mirroring the CC by-sa copyright
licence (because CC by-sa covers only copyright, so database rights
remain with… someone).

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall