On 01/11/12 04:20, James Livingston wrote:
>> Turning it the another way, say you had OSM data and another database, which
>> you had separately rendered to images. I'm pretty sure that you could then
>> overlay one image on
>> another and serve the combined one to people (provided you satisfy the
>> attribution requirements for the OSM data). If on the other hand you
>> combined the two databases and
>> then rendered the images, you would have a Derived Database you need to
>> release.
>
> That depends on the way you did the combination. If the second data set
> remained independent of the OSM data then you would have a Collective, not
> Derivative Database.

That's what I'm getting at - we're saying you need to provide the
data/method if you create a derivative database but not if you create
a collective database, but it's often not clear which it is.

As someone who received the end Produced Work, it may not be be
obvious whether you should demand the data/method, and very difficult
to be certain they should.

As the producer, you may not be sure either. If you are using
closed-source software where you can't see the internals, or if it's
open-source but you don't understand the internals, you may not be
able to tell. From the point of view of someone using it, it may
simply be a magic box which accepts two sets of data and emits some
images, and you have no idea how it combines them internally.