Louis Proyect wrote:

>  I include: Arbenz, Cardenas Sr. in Mexico, Allende, Alan Garcia
> (to a lesser extent), Cheddi Jagan, Hugo Chavez et al.

You leave out a very important figure, Lou,  Juan Bosch Gaviņo,
of the Dominican Republic. I mark my own path to marxism by
the Domincan Intervention of 1965 and a quote from Bosch, which
I don't remember exactly, but was to the effect that "Every patriotic
Latin American leader who trusted the United States ended up
dead or in exile." I did a brief Web search on Dominican history
but came up with only a few fairly superficial accounts.

Carrol