>I do not know whether General Makashov was a CPRF CC member, but he was
>elected on the CPRF slate to the Duma. Unfortunately it will be rather easy
>to find more antisemitic quotes from leading CPRF members.
>
>Johannes

Just as you will find antisemitic quotes from leaders of the German
Communist Party in the 1920s, including Ruth Fischer who was herself of
Jewish origin. When a society is in deep crisis, there is a tendency to
find scapegoats. Jews have traditionally played that role in Russia and
Germany. In the USA, it is blacks who fill that role. The real question,
however, is not what racist comments are uttered by one or another official
of the CPRF, but what economic measures can resolve the crisis and relieve
the tensions that give birth to racial demagogy. From that standpoint,
there can be little doubt that the CPRF's program is what Russia needs.
While making all sorts of concessions to "free market" orthodoxy, it is an
attempt to reverse the course set by Yeltsin and continued now by Putin.
Unfortunately, the people in charge of the CPRF are steeped in bureaucratic
modes of functioning that prevent them from mobilizing the power of Russian
workers to dislodge the gang in power right now. They have much in common
with Milosevic, who can also be faulted for using "business as usual"
methods at a time of deep crisis. If Eastern Europe and the former Soviet
Union can not generate true communists, then the situation will continue to
deteriorate with all the resultant woes of xenophobia, suicide, alcoholism,
dope addiction, prostitution, etc.

Louis Proyect