Hallöchen!

Fabien Castan writes:

>> I cannot explain the physics in detail, but it is so.  Focus
>> changes distortion.  Been there, done that: A couple of weeks ago
>> I had to remove a database entry because it had been taken at
>> close focus, and did not work *at* *all* for images taken at a
>> large distance.
>
> But in that case, it is the same in the other direction, no?  If
> you calibrate using a large distance, it doesn't work for close
> range pictures?

Of course this doesn't work, too.  :-)

> When you are doing the calibration do you also compute the focal
> value?

Do you mean focal distance or focal length?

> Or do you use directly the metadata information and only compute
> the distortion?

I use from the metadata the camera model (sensor size), lens model,
and the focal length.

For vignetting, I also use the aperture.  The focal distance is set
to infinity (unless the creator of the images tell differently).

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: torsten.bron...@jabber.rwth-aachen.de