> >> Are you interested if we propose a pull request with a new
> >> calibration binary (with OpenCV optional at compile time)?
> >>
> >> I personally no.  I do not believe in checkerboard calibrations
> >> for reasons I have stated earlier.
> >
> > It could be nice to validate with tests instead of just
> > "believing", isn't it?
>
> You cannot validate because this would mean to test all lenses.  You
> can only invalidate by showing that it doesn't work for one lens.  I
> want a reliable method, and this means to test the lens with the
> settings with which it is later used.

Hugin has released an automatic calibration and now maintain its own
database.
Hugin release note: "The lensfun library has been removed as it did not
fulfill our expectations. It has been replaced with our own camera and lens
database which uses a data mining approach and operates automatically
without user intervention."
http://wiki.panotools.org/Calibrate_lens_gui
Again more dispersion in the open source community.