Edward K. Ream wrote:
> There are *huge* disincentives for scientists to
> mislead themselves or others.  If there were real data contradicting global
> warming or evolution, people would instantly make their career by uncovering
> them.

This works in those fields where there is a lot of private funding, but
in fields that are politically sensitive, and wholly government funded,
we unsurprisingly get politics rather than science.

The government likes data that supports more government power, rewards
those that tell it what it wants to hear, and punishes those that tell
it what it does not want to hear.

Environmentalism is a state sponsored religion, for it is perfectly
visible to anyone that wants to look that it is not subject to the same
standards as normal science, the story of Briffa and the Yamal data
being one example of a great many.

People have lost their jobs for reporting that glaciers are advancing in
a particular area, even though they fully agreed that most glaciers are
retreating.  This makes it hard to tell whether most glaciers are indeed
retreating, though they probably are.

Environmentalism generally, and the Global Warming movement in
particular, acts like a holy and sectarian religious movement, a
religious movement backed by state power, not like science.