Web-based front-end simply means that the GUI runs in a browser.

My understanding of Flexx is that you can use it in the same way that you
would use PyQt. I do not believe it places restrictions on the rest of your
Python code.

I do agree that the language on the docs site is a bit obtuse. If you have
any need for clarification the author is a very communicative and would be
happy to answer any questions (he has answered all of my mine promptly).