Others have stated great reasoning. So I don't want to recap but I'll add.

In the cloud age "traditional platform" doesn't mean what it used to. The
Leo "server" needn't be your computer, but could be a cloud based virtual
machine that with guaranteed accessibility and uptime.

As a pure python dependency it should improve deployability. Less licensing
nonsense than using Qt/PyQt. The pure python nature of Flexx and pure
python nature of Leo's backend also means there is the potential to PyPy
for a potentially large performance gain. Flexx has been testing on PyPy.

And perhaps one of the more important reasons, despite the best efforts of
a great many of us it seems like browser-based technology is taking over.
More and more "applications" are making their way towards the browser. Take
that for what it's worth but this is one of main reasons Flexx was created
in the first place.