My 2 cents: the only dependencies that needed to be reported are modules
needed to run Leo on a standard python install.
Thus, in my view, Leo should present itself with a set of plugins that will
work out of the box (i.e. on a standard python/os-install).

Any other dependencies that come in by linking up with any other python
program, like ipython, pylint, etc. should be resolved by
user/maintainer/distribution with respect to that link-able program.
This might be not easy to separate as say command-line options such as
--ipython that ship with leo won't have an effect without ipython (and the
rest which has to be installed on my bare system:
six
ipython_genutils
enum34
traitlets
simplegeneric
shutil_get_terminal_size
Pygments
wcwidth
prompt_toolkit
pathlib
pickleshare
ptyprocess
pexpect
jedi
decorator
ipython
;
for pylint:
py
setuptools-scm
pytest
pytest-runner
python-mccabe
six
singledispatch
ConfigParser
functools-lru-cache
enum34
ipaddress
pies2overrides
pies
isort
python-wrapt
python-lazy-object-proxy
astroid
pylint

Of course soon there will be overlap between these modules, but it should
not be leo's task to keep track of that I would think.

The leo-documentation/@settings could possibly be the place to make this
clear. Would it be possible to put these extra's in their own box with an
explanation how the link can be made to work? Then it may become clear to
users what extras they can install and can use to extend the program if
they want to. Anaconda seems not a good option if one aims for a minimal
set-up and more understanding of how something operates and can be set-up.

As a beginner I found it a bit overwhelming seeing all possibilities and
then finding they did not (all) work. Either by lack of proper @settings or
by lack of the installed module. I am getting there though (I hope).

I learned a lot by going through various files: workbook,
leo-cheatsheet,leoSettings, myLeoSettings, scripts, quick-start, on
http://leoeditor.com, FAQ.html, tutorial, documentation and what more, but
it is not easy to keep track where one found some bit of info.
It is all, like instructions for running/downloading/installing/using leo a
bit spread.

Cheers,

rob