On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Josef <joe...@gmx.net> wrote:

I am stil running xubuntu 16.04, which has python2 as the default, however
> I installed python3 via conda and in the terminal I have python3.7 now. To
> start leo with python3 I either start it from a script, which calls up the
> python3 program and leo as parameter, or for clicking on a leo file I
> patched the shebang line in launchleo.py file to point to python3. When I
> start leo from that way from the commandline, the current directory is
> leo's installation directory, not the directory where I launched it from.
> Is there a better way to do this?

I have just verified that it's possible to start Leo from outside Leo's
installation directory.  For example, on Windows I can start Leo from my
home directory, and my log pane shows:

current dir: C:/Users/edreamleo
load dir: C:/leo.repo/leo-editor/leo/core

Similarly for Ubuntu.

To make this work, I have a "gleo" .bat file (Windows) or script (Ubuntu),
that starts Leo from a known location without changing the current
directory.

On Windows:

e.bat:

gleo C:\Users\edreamleo\ekr.leo   %*

gleo.bat:

python c:\leo.repo\leo-editor\launchLeo.py --gui=qttabs %*

And similarly for Ubuntu.  The aliases are:

alias e="leo3 ~/ekr.leo"
alias gleo="python3 ~/leo.repo/leo-editor/launchLeo.py --gui=qttabs"
alias leo3="python3 launchLeo.py --gui=qttabs"

HTH.