On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 11:08:54 PM UTC-5, Thomas Passin wrote:

> Could you send me an example file?  It you typed in a date, you probably
> did it in a more or less standard way, and maybe we can automate getting it
> out without you having to handle each and every file.
> BTW, how many of these files are you talking about?  Roughly speaking, of
> course.

There are 20+ of the yearly Word files, but I'll be looking at material in
other Word files as well; don't know how many.  Much of my writings are an
undifferentiated mix of personal and non-personal stuff, so because of the
personal stuff I cannot offer a sample. But I will not be extracting *all*
of the material in these files to zettels. I assume you were thinking of
using the dates as delineators. I am confident that would not work for at
least a couple of reasons: I wrote on multiple topics each day, so sooner
or later it will have to be subdivided deeper than just the date level, and
also, since I don't want all of the material to go into the zettelkasten,
the parser will need to skip over a lot of material.  It seems to me that
I'll need to insert headings, tags, keywords, perhaps what I've called
'pointers' (a great idea in my opinion, quite a creativity booster), and
any other devices (URLs?) we come up with so zettels do all the magic that
we want them to do.

I want to accomplish as much of that as possible as I prep the files for
the parser so I don't still have another mammoth task of working through
all the zettels *again *to populate them with tags, headings, etc *after*
bringing them into the system. Am I correct that basically what this
requires is a pre-designed zettel template with markdown for all these
sub-elements, so that I go into these files, designate each zettel, format
it according to the template and insert markdown defining tags, headings,
etc, i.e. everything that makes up a zettel, so all the parser has to do is
pick it up and plunk it into a zettel and it is now a functional zettel
with all its accoutrements, ready to take its place as a complete and fully
functioning member of the community?
Or is there more to it than that?

Upshot of the above is that I really don't see any alternative to working
through every file individually, identifying the items I want, deciding
upon tags, keywords, headings, etc and inserting everything needed.  Is
this how you are conceiving it or am I out in left field?

I did not write with a zettelkasten-like plan in mind for 'someday', so the
material is a mess.