On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 5:06:30 PM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:

> 6. Link Navigation
> And these links are (or can be) embedded in text, right? Do they, or can
> they, also link directly to a specific place in the target note, or simply
> to the note as a unit? Another way to say that: can the target of a link be
> an embedded marker in the target note? I can easily imagine, e.g. in the
> case of more developed zettels such as chapters or textually developed
> outlines, wanting to link to a particular place in the target zettel. I can
> also imagine wanting to clone selected material from another zettel into my
> current zettel.

The way the backlink plugin works, you create and traverse the links in a
separate panel that lives in the "Tabs" pane.  When you have clicked on a
node to select it, all its links are shown in that pane. They are stored
with the other metadata for the node, and are included when you save the
Leo outline, but you have no way to see them directly in the body pane
itself.  I'm not sure, but you *may* be able to enter a link by hand into
the body of a node, but even if you could, I think it would be very error
prone.

You can link from any node to any other no matter what their level in the
Leo outline is.

As for cloning, you can clone any node and move wherever you want in a Leo
outline.  It will come with all its child nodes.  If you make each node
small and focused, as the practitioners of the zettelkasten method insist
you should do, this should work fine.

> 7. Time Stamp
> agreed generally. I do want date of origin, and I would like modification
> dates as well. The vast bulk of my zettels will be extracted from archived
> files, so I will have to manually enter those dates of origin as I prep
> those files for the parser. And I want to be able to search the
> zettelkasten by time stamp as well as (and in combination with) other
> handles.

I'm not sure what date you will get from an archived file.  It will depend
on the archiving method, I'm sure.  Windows will claim the creation date is
the date a file was created, but that means that a copy you make today of a
twenty year old file would have a creation date of today.  The last
modified date will show the last time you modified a file, which might be
that day twenty years ago.  What dates might come out of your archive, I
don't know.

Leo will apply the timestamp of the time you create a node.  That can't
change, because Leo used it internally.

The upshot is that if some of these timestamps are going to be important to
you, they will have to added.  One way is to put them right in the file
using some simple syntax.  I posted up with some possibilities a few days
ago.  Another way is at write some code that lets you add them to the
node's metadata, similar to the way that the backlinks plugin handles
links.  That would be more of an effort to get going.  I would say that for
now, the best way to get going would be to put them into the text of the
zettel, and later we can write some code to pull them out, index them, and
make them more available for searching.  Or we could modify the renderer to
not show them if that's what we want.

> If the system-applied UID is time-based (YYMMDDHHMMSS, since I might
> create more than one zettel within a minute), then the UID could double as
> the timestamp. But, for my zettels drawn from archive I would have to
> append additional identifying characters after the YYMMDD portion of the
> (user-created) UID, since many of those zettels will have been created on
> the same day but without HHMMSS data available.
>
> But once again I want all this necessary and highly desirable baggage to
> disappear when I'm writing. Get outta my sight and leave me alone until I
> want ya! But when I do want ya I want ya right now, with no fuss and
> bother! I'm hard to get along with. Just ask the wife.
>
> 8. Tags
> And tags form an interwoven and searchable mapping, as above.
>
> 9. Backlinks
> agreed, and as above can inter-zettel links go from text point to text
> point? as opposed to from zettel unit to zettel unit? (preferably both
> types).

No, not with the present plugins.  We'd have to come up with an way to
address a portion of the text of a Leo node.  So far as I know, this
doesn't exist as yet.  Then the link system would have to be modified to
include the address within the text.  Leo itself already has machinery to
place the cursor anywhere you like within a node.  The trick will be to
come up with a usable way to identify that point, and get it into the link
system.  And then we would have to work out what should happen when the
zettel's text changes.  For example, maybe the paragraph you pointed to
gets deleted.  What should the system do?  Maybe you pointed to line 10,
but now that line has become line 15.  What should the link point to now?

These are not trivial things to work out.  I have a research paper or two
somewhere on making "robust" links - ones that tend to adjust to changes
like these. Well, I have a link to the papers in my bookmarks, but it seems
to have moved somewhere else over the years.  But it will take a lot of
effort (and time) to implement something that works.

The question is, would it be worth the effort, especially at the
beginning?  With short, focused zettels, you can grasp the entire text
quickly, so maybe the desire to link inside a node won't turn out to be
that important.  The practitioners of the paper system didn't have that
ability.  So perhaps this capability could come later.