On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 10:37:00 AM UTC-5, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> Imo, reverting to Leo's legacy operation (not using Qt docks) would
> simplify life for newcomers.
>
> This would entail adding a new command-line arguments, say --use-docks.
> Those who now *do* use Qt docks would have to use this new argument.
>
> The --no-docks command-line argument would remain, so those who *don't*
> use Qt docks would not have to change anything.
>
> Your comments, please.

I have mixed feelings.  I liked the old way, and I have an @button setting
that switches the split view to put the body pane on the right as I
prefer.  OTOH, VR3 doesn't currently work with --no-docks, and I'd just as
soon not have to try to track that down and fix it!

If the old way becomes the new default, I think the way to split and
rearrange the panes needs to be documented clearly in some place that a
newcomer will be able to find easily.  When I started, I didn't understand
what any of the menu items under Window/Window Layout meant (for that
matter, I still don't understand most of them).

If Leo goes this route. I'd like to see the default layout have the body
pane on the right and the tabs pane on the left under the outline pane.  I
strongly prefer it that way because I think it's important to be able to
see more of the body text at once. (At least up to some number of lines,
like maybe 70).  I want the tabs pane on the left because if it were in a
new column (say in the middle) that would crowd the body pane too much and
tend to not leave enough width for it. Over the years, working with other
programs and web pages, I've come to think that more than two columns in a
page causes more visual clutter than I like.

Actually, even if --no-docks does not become the default, I'd still like
the body-right layout to be the standard one.