I think that between the time that I modified qt_gui.py and the time that I
pushed it to my clone of the devel branch, that it got reformatted in
origin/ devel.  Between my VR3 branch and my devel branch, I see many
changes in the file diffs - I'm sure they are what Edward noticed - that
are minor reformatting differences, like an extra space before or after a
"#" character, or an argument broken over to the next line.  This makes me
think that someone had run the new automatic reform script over the entire
branch.

I completely understand why no one would want to slog through so many of
these changes to verify that they are harmless.  I'll work out how to
recover, and go on from there.