> So if I had a clone at d:\leo-clone, I'd use the following?
>
> python -m pip install --editable d:\leo-clone

Yes.

I  have been setting PYTHONPATH to d:\leo-clone.  This has always seemed to
> work well, as long as the dependencies have been installed in my main
> Python install (because of a previous Leo install, for example).  This way,
> I can always switch back to using the previous install just by launching
> from another terminal without setting PYTHONPATH.

If your diferent versions are in the same SCM repo (eg. hg, git) then
resettng to or checking out your desired version can be done without
messing with PYTHONPATH. This is the primary benefit of editable install,
it always uses what's in that directory tree *right now, *allowing you to
test code changes immediately.

pip install -e d:\leo-clone
pushd d:\leo-clone
git checkout v6.1
python -m leo.core.runLeo
# hack, hack. do stuff in Leo 6.1. exit.
git checkout v6.2
python -m leo.core.runLeo
# hack, hack. do stuff in Leo 6.2. exit.
...etc

If you want to run different versions of Leo side by side then *don't *pip
install Leo at all, editable or not, and set PYTHONPATH the way you have
been. I think it's cleaner to not to change PYTHONPATH though and to use
`python d:\leo-clone-2\launchLeo.py` for starting. (It might mess with some
imports or make them unpredictable as they search in Leo's tree instead of
the real python tree.)

Also for sde-byside it's best not to use the same HOME, as files in the
.leo folder might get messed up.

-matt