Hi,

In a world where JavaScript is a commonplace, disliking it becomes
automatically opinionated :-).

I put sparkles of JS here and there for my web sites, but I don't plan
to make it my main programming language and now that JS transpilers are
becoming a more common place I plan to keep using Pharo as much as
possible, as for now, nothing beats its live coding experience and
programming environment. So I would say the "J" of Jamstack is more
about "JavaScript as a bridge" that as the primary language, as the "P"
in LAMP Stack meant PHP, but in some context became Python or Perl or
even non P named languages and the "M" was not about "MySQL always".

I also like Elixir and I think that the BEAM is a pretty awesome
technology for parallelism, as it is shown in this excellent talk[1]. It
is not the place where I'm focused as I'm more interested in live coding
and moldable tools[2a] and for that Pharo[2] is a pretty powerful tool
that change the way you think about/with software.

[1] GOTO 2019 • The Soul of Erlang and Elixir • Saša Jurić
https://youtu.be/JvBT4XBdoUE
[2] https://pharo.org/
[2a] Tudor Gîrba - Moldable development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pot9GnHFOVU

So, going back to the exploration of web technologies, my approach has
been to leverage the knowledge and aesthetics I already have to find a
static site generator[3] (for example a Python based one) and to create
a site on it (preferably using some pre-existing template with a good
design) and also to see the infrastructure from the point of view of an
"end user" or a community that is going to add content to such site.
That is how I went from web2py[3a] to Grav[3b] to Brea[3c], my own Pharo
based CMS (as Pharo was the language I was using to customize Grav's
markdown and YAML source files anyway). This is a story of progressive
decoupling: as the excellent and integrated web2py became kind of over
complex for the stuff we were doing/needing, Grav allow an editing
experience I thought could be friendly while we enjoyed flat file
storage, which enabled redundant storage and editing via Fossil (but it
could be Git). And because we where working with plain files, their
processing could be done in several languages (I chose Pharo). Once Grav
customization became also over complex and after seeing that nobody was
using Grav's web ui the next step was to build an even simpler solution
combining Pharo, Pandoc and Fossil which resonated strongly with the
explorations of the Jamstack and the IndieWeb[4][4a] about building your
own tools and web presence.

[3] https://jamstack.org/generators/
[3a] http://web2py.com/
[3b] https://getgrav.org/
[3c] https://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/brea/
[4] https://indieweb.org/
[4a] https://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/indieweb/

Fiuuuhhh, Edward's sabbatical makes me talk even more that on-topic
conversations... ;-P ... Maybe I should write a blog post instead and
invite you to my IndieWeb place to keep the conversation.

Cheers,

Offray