Maybe the docstring said that at one time but it doesn't now : ). It says
this:

A plugin for displaying slides from a folder and its subfolders.
And this:
The following keyword arguments may be supplied to the run method:
extensions = ['.jpeg', '.jpg', '.png'],  # List of file extensions.

And I see from the PixMap docs that it can actually support some other
formats.

You may think it's the same thing, but I suggest spelling out just what the
viewer can do would be helpful.