On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM tbp1...@gmail.com <tbp100...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In get_files(), there is
>
> os.path.splitext(str(z))[1].lower() in self.extensions
>
> I'm just wondering why it isn't g.os_path_splitext() instead.  Are these
> *g.os_path_** commands being phased out? (Actually, I never understood
> why we have them at all but given that we do, why not use it here?)

Good question.

The g.os_path functions have a long history. Iirc, at one point they were
an essential part of the wrappers that hid differences between python 2 and
python 3.  Today, *some* of the g.os_path functions do more than the
corresponding os.path methods.  The differences between the g.os_path
functions and the corresponding os.path methods are subtle enough that it
would be madness to contemplate removing the g.os_path functions.

But for most scripts using os.path methods directly is clearer. So that's
what I do.