That setting is not among the settings listed in the output of
Settings/Show Settings/Show-Settings.  I now, after your post,  see that it
is included in leoSettings.leo, where I had to try various guesses as to
what the setting might be called before finally noticing it.  I started
searching for "syntax", and eventually tried "check".

Seems to me that the menu item to show settings should at least show all of
the ones in leoSettings.leo, if not more.