On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 6:01:43 AM UTC-5 Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 3:08 PM tbp1...@gmail.com <tbp1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The project is a Tomcat web application that uses mixed java and Jython.
>

> VSCode probably allows you to use python 2 for some projects. I am not
> going to support python 2 in Leo, but a plugin could do so.

Jython <https://www.jython.org/> is one of the languages in which macros
are written for the ImageJ <https://imagej.net/> image processing and
analysis software, and important as such. Jython support for Python3 is
planned <https://www.jython.org/jython-3-mvp> and roadmapped
<https://www.jython.org/jython-3-roadmap>.

Another significant implementation of Python for which Python3 compliance
is a work in progress is IronPython <https://ironpython.net/>, which runs
native on the Dynamic Language Runtime for .NET. The implementation is open
source, source code for IronPython2, IronPython3, and the Dynamic Language
Runtime is on GitHub <https://github.com/IronLanguages>. The current forum
for for developers and users a Gitter discussion group
<https://gitter.im/IronLanguages/ironpython>.

I work on ImageJ macros, using Jython when I can. I work with .NET-based
applications for which IronPython is the macro language.  Those macros are
short enough that they don't need an outliner, and the host applications
provide the IDE.