On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 12:04:25 PM UTC-5 tbp1...@gmail.com wrote:

> Ah, Lua!  I think I last tried it back before I had even encountered
> Python, but back then I didn't really have a need for it. Maybe I should
> revisit it.  I would want at least some equivalent for numpy and a gui
> system like Qt.  I gather that wxWindows is a possibility among others.
>

>From a Web search for the words "Lua" and "Numpy":

Lua Equivalent for NumPy and SciPy? - Stack Overflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7786070/lua-equivalent-for-numpy-and-scipy>

Convert Torch Lua into Numpy Python - Stack Overflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37141841/convert-torch-lua-into-numpy-python>

That spurs a search for the words "Torch" and "Lua", which is fruitful, if
frustrating in the end. From the Wikipedia article on Torch
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torch_(machine_learning)>:
Torch is an open-source machine learning library, a scientific computing
framework, and a script language based on the Lua programming language. It
provides a wide range of algorithms for deep learning, and uses the
scripting language LuaJIT <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LuaJIT>, and an
underlying C implementation. It was created at IDIAP at EPFL. As of 2018,
Torch is no longer in active development. However PyTorch
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PyTorch>, which is based on the Torch
library, is actively developed as of June 2021.

PyTorch has language bindings for Python and for C++. I read that there is
information available on calling C++ functions from Lua, but I don't know
how easy that is, given the reliance of C++ on mangling names.

There's also SciLua <https://scilua.org>, which I read is most easily
installed with the ULua distribution of LuaJIT <https://ulua.io>. I'm not
sure that falling back on a specific distribution of a minority
implementation of Lua promises greater ease than pursuing a minority
implementation of Python, alas.

More on Torch below.

>From Torch | Scientific computing for LuaJIT. <http://torch.ch/>:
Torch is a scientific computing framework with wide support for machine
learning algorithms that puts GPUs first. It is easy to use and efficient,
thanks to an easy and fast scripting language, LuaJIT, and an underlying
C/CUDA implementation.

A summary of core features:

   - a powerful N-dimensional array
   - lots of routines for indexing, slicing, transposing, …
   - amazing interface to C, via LuaJIT
   - linear algebra routines
   - neural network, and energy-based models
   - numeric optimization routines
   - Fast and efficient GPU support
   - Embeddable, with ports to iOS and Android backends

>From Lua and Torch - Artificial Inteligence - GitBook
<https://leonardoaraujosantos.gitbook.io/artificial-inteligence/appendix/lua>
:
Torch is a scientific computing framework based on Lua with CPU and GPU
backends. You can imagine like a Numpy but with CPU and GPU implementation.
Some nice features:

   - Efficient linear algebra functions with GPU support
   - Neural Network package, with automatic differentiation (No need to
   backpropagate manually)
   - Multi-GPU support

Lua Torch :: Anaconda.org <https://anaconda.org/alexbw/lua-torch>

Get Lua running with Torch on Windows 10 with limited Admin rights - Stack
Overflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48277220/get-lua-running-with-torch-on-windows-10-with-limited-admin-rights>

Lua & Torch Tutorial - luckylwk.github.io
<http://luckylwk.github.io/2015/05/23/lua-torch/>