On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 5:18:15 PM UTC-5 tbp1...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 12:57:12 PM UTC-5 David Szent-Györgyi wrote:
>
>> Jython support for Python3 is planned
>> <https://www.jython.org/jython-3-mvp> and roadmapped
>> <https://www.jython.org/jython-3-roadmap>.
>>

> Yes, and have you noticed the huge amount of work those plans will
> entail?  I don't see it getting competed in the near future, I'm sorry to
> say.

Like you, I thought those plans call for a lot of work, and completion
might be some time off. Part of that might be the ever-growing complexity
of Python3, which is accruing features that cannot be implemented simply,
thereby complicating maintenance of minority implementations such as Jython
and IronPython.

I greatly admire the tasteful engineering that I see in the choices that
Guido van Rossum made in earlier releases. For example, an operating system
that supports multi-tasking well relieves the need for multi-threading.

For more straightforward scripting engine uses, there's always Lua, though the
fork of Lua done to implement a JIT <http://luajit.org> trails the main
implementation <https://www.lua.org>. There is an interesting offshoot of
the language that is aimed at systems programming <https://nelua.io>.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm wandering far afield, sorry for trespassing. I'll
come quietly, officer!