I'm not 100% clear what the revised functionality you propose would be ...
but as one of (the) main people who requested some sort of session
management, a few years back, I would strongly dislike losing this feature.

I routinely start Leo with a set of files (four or five), previously saved
via session-snapshot-load and session-snapshot-save. Unless I'm
misunderstanding you, loss of this feature would be a serious blow to my
leo productivity.

Jon N