On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 02:07:25PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Tushar Teredesai wrote these words on 11/22/05 13:58 CST:
>
> > Instead of assigning a fixed ID number, why not define a range. For example:
> > * 1-20: Core users and groups (must have on every system). These are
> > created manually using the cat command in
> > <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/pwdgroup.html>.
> > * 21-99: For other packages.
>
> This is not a bad idea. However, Bruce's plan was to group the
> UID/GIDs by the type of package it is.
>
> Mail = 21-30
> Security = 31-40

Then the argument stays, but the terms change. Instead of arguing
specific uid/gid, it will be how best to arrange it. It is a policy
decision. As such, I like an arbitrary system with an emphasis in each
book that they are merely suggestions and not set in stone (though I'm
sure most *will* just use the book's values).

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs