Jim Gifford wrote these words on 01/04/06 23:53 CST:
> I know this is a topic a lot of people are interested in. How to get
> udev hotplugging working.

As I am obviously naive to what you are talking about, what exactly
doesn't work with the LFS implementation of udev hotplugging? I'm
not trying to be a smart-alek here, I just don't honestly know.
Best as I can tell, it works just fine for me. But then, I don't
use many of the capabilities.

> First off, you will need to patch the kernel. 2.6.15 is not all the way
> there, but GregKH has the necessary patches available to make it work. I
> used
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-all-2.6.15.patch

Patch the kernel? Exactly why? Again, I don't doubt you, but
you need to offer more than "you need to patch the kernel".
There are some, like me, that want to know what exactly is broken
in the current kernel that needs patching.

> Third you will need the udev package that the Cross-LFS team developed.

Again, what is wrong the the released tarballs? Why do we need to
use custom ones?

Thanks for the answers. Perhaps your wisdom here can help us that
really aren't up to speed get a handle on things. I don't really
understand why all this patching needs to go on, but I'm sure
there is a good reason for it.

Upstream is aware of all this brokenness as well?

--
Randy

00:26:00 up 102 days, 9:50, 3 users, load average: 0.39, 0.42, 0.52