On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 10:15:51AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> So, I'd rather save the kernel source in another directory. Maybe
> /usr/share/linux. That's where I put them in my builds. You can always
> move the tree to whatever location is needed by another package which
> _really_ needs the kernel source.

Any sane package that need kernel sources will have an option to point
to where they are. Although that does pose the requirement of a sane
build system...

For 2.6 kernels, the standard (official) way of finding the sources is
the symlink /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build, which points to the build
directory where "make install_modules" was called. This is obviously
quite fragile if you move the sources somewhere else. This isn't for
userland things, but the external modules I've built use it.

Alex :-)

--
Pippin
Computer Monkey to the Pelican