Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not certain of something. Do we expect *all users* to perform the
> steps shown in the "Bash shell startup files"? I know I don't do them.
> I have my own way of setting up /etc/profile, et. all.
>
> And this makes the JDK instructions related to the CLASSPATH broken.
> I'm not a big fan of this "pathprepend" and "pathappend" stuff. In
> fact, I'd like to remove it in favor of something that isn't BLFS
> specific.

I don't have a huge problem with changing "pathprepend" to EXPORT
envvar=newvalue:$envvar but the advantage to path*pend is that multiple
instances of a value are not added to the environment variable.

Actually, I didn't realize that the path*pend was used in the book other
than in the startup pages.  A quick grep says that JDK is the only place.

> I'm wondering if the "Bash Shell Startup Files" shouldn't be listed in
> the required dependencies? I don't recall anything in BLFS as being
> mandatory, yet the JDK instructions simply *assume* that folks followed
> the "Bash Shell" startup stuff.

I don't think is should be mandatory.  The examples in the Bash startup
files are meant to be a starting point/example for users to customize
their own scripts.

Looking at the JDK script, it assumes the entire startup sequence of
running profile.d/*.sh.

I would suggest a note that says the script assumes that the
capabilities of the bash startup scripts exist.  Alternatively, the user
needs to establish the PATH, JAVA_HOME, and CLASSPATH environment
variables in a way compatible with their shell initialization scripts.

  -- Bruce